Built in 1909, the building which is now known as Cannery Lofts was initially an industrial complex called the Thompson & Norris Corrugated Cardboard Company. It produced cardboard boxes but closed in 1920 and was sold to the American Can Company. Despite a cyclone that year, the building survived.
From 1920 to 1930, it operated as a can plant and later manufactured can-making equipment and aircraft parts during World War II. It transformed into the Spaghetti Tree Restaurant & the Cannery Inn in 1991.
In 1993, the building housed the International Buddhist Zen Temple until it was acquired by the Merani Hotel Group in 2019. The group recognized its potential as a short or long-term stay option for tourists exploring the beauty of the Niagara Region. Today, the Merani Hotel Group is an independent hospitality management company known for exceptional guest experiences, meaningful opportunities for their team, and positive impact in international communities. They maintain superior quality across their portfolio of hotels, restaurants, and an arcade.